Saturday, August 29, 2009

Back From Alberta


I had a wonderful trip to Alberta to visit a very dear friend. We were very good friends right at the end of high school and the first couple years of University, and then life happened. Time, distance, and a few misunderstandings, and we were out of each others lives for a long time. She tried to tell me the truth about something that I wasn't ready to hear. Anger instantly replaced the relationship, and over time feelings of regret and sadness replaced the anger. I missed her terribly.

About a year ago, she contacted me again through Facebook. It wasn't very long after that, that she hopped on a plane and came to visit. As soon as I opened the door the hugs, tears, and apologies flowed, and I vowed right then and there to never let something like that happen again. I wasted 8 years of my life not having her in my life, and I was going to spend the rest of my life building and strengthening all my relationships. Working on my masters degree has taught me how important relationships are.

As an educator I am always thinking about my students. Children do not remember every science project or math lesson taught. They remember the people, the relationships. The friends and teachers who cared enough to help them on their way, and gave them wings. They remember the bad ones too, and it is yet another reminder of how we carry ourselves, and how that, makes a lasting impact on the people around us.

I am very grateful to have my friend back in my life. When I was on her farm, we walked 6 miles everyday, talked, ate healthy home-cooked meals, laughed, and caught up on the last 8 years.

In this health journey I find myself on, I believe that physical health is truly important, but so is our emotional and spiritual health. Taking time to laugh and reconnect with friends is so good for the health of our soul. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity not only to work on my physical health while I was away, but also very glad that I took the time to reconnect with a great friend. My soul is so filled with love and goodness, my cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment