Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Forgotten Dress.


I went into town to go to Nan's today. My Nan (grandma) is turning 88 on Tuesday. She's an amazing woman, but she's is getting to the age, where some things are harder for her than they used to be. So when she calls and asks for a favour, I jump into action. She has supported and loved me all these years and it feels so good to love and support her back.

When my husband and I went to Nan's today to dig in a new shrub in her back yard, she handed me a bag. Inside the bag, was an old dress of mine from 8 years ago that I had asked her to mend, and that she had found in her spare room. It was one of my favourite Summer dresses, black cotton with brilliant yellow sunflowers on it. I loved that dress so much, and after all this time had forgotten all about it. When I pulled it out of the bag, I realized that after working so hard to lose all of this weight, I would probably fit into it.

So when I got home, I rushed into my room and tried it on. Sure enough after all these years, it fit like a glove, almost like it had never taken an 8 year hiatus.

I'm feeling really good these days. As I am increasing my exercise and getting stronger, I feel younger and more alive. Now, as I focus on losing the last 50 pounds, I am reminded of a life I left behind, and the life that lies ahead.

I am so glad I made the choice to become healthier, because I have so much more energy to live my present life, and enjoy what's happening now.

No comments:

Post a Comment