Monday, August 31, 2009

Sharing a Health Goal With My Students.


I am a music teacher at an elementary school. I teach students Kindergarten to grade seven. My classes are usually around 30 students, and 30 minutes long. So every half hour I get a new group. Each day I teach nine classes which makes for a busy day.

My classes have always been active and full of life with movement, dance, singing, and playing instruments. I have always added extra movement in my day to liven things up. But this year, I want to change it up a bit.

I am going to offer a lunch time learn to run group. It's for students who want to improve their fitness, slowly, and have fun doing it. I was thinking of meeting twice a week, as well as planning some fitness related field trips.

I really love running, and have missed doing it. A torn meniscus in my left knee stopped it short last Spring, and a bulged disc in my back this Spring added to the torture. I have now eased my way back into it, and want to continue slowly getting stronger. After completing my Action Research on the health of our intermediate students at school, I believe there is a need to have such a club that focuses on making fitness fun while improving overall health.

I am really excited about it. It will bring my health passion along side my passion for music. The one thing I have learned in my Masters journey, is that you have to be the change you seek, and I'm really looking forward to sharing this journey with the students I teach.

Improving health one idea at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment